OCG, though our parent company Chandler Macleod Group (CMG) have been updating our employees on the COVID-19 virus and the steps they should be taking to minimise the possibility of contracting and spreading the virus including:
WHAT IS CORONAVIRUS?
Coronaviruses are a large family of viruses that are known to cause illness ranging from the common cold to more severe diseases such as:
It’s important to note that these viruses are found worldwide in humans and animals.
- Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) and
- Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS).
A novel coronavirus (CoV) is a new strain of coronavirus that has not been previously identified in humans. This is what has recently been identified in Wuhan, China and is now referred to as COVID-19.
WHAT ARE THE SYMPTOMS?
- The most common symptoms include fever, cough, sore throat, shortness of breath and difficulty breathing.
- Other less common symptoms of COVID-19 can include muscle aches, headache, nausea and diarrhoea.
HOW DOES COVID-19 SPREAD?
Authorities advised that transmission is possibly through the following ways:
- Human to human contact. Usually from a person who has the virus and in in close contact with others. This occurs when a person has contact with droplets that are expelled when a person coughs, sneezes, or talks.
- From animals to humans. It is thought that the virus is transmitted from animal sources to humans. The initial source is actually thought to be a seafood market.
WHAT TO DO TO PREVENT SPREAD AND KEEP SAFE?
Keep as much distance as you can from people who are obviously sick. In other circumstances, it’s important to socially distance yourself from others. It is recommended that you keep 2 meters between yourself and others.
Maintain good personal hygiene:
- Regularly wash your hands with soap and water.
- Use hand sanitiser when soap and water are not available.
- Avoid touching your face.
- Don’t shake hands and avoid kissing people or other personal contact.